Saturday, December 1, 2012

Urban Decay naked skin foundation review

I recently tried Urban Decay naked skin 'weightless ultra definition liquid makeup'. I read a lot of reviews before buying it, and it seemed that most either absolutely loved it or hated it.

The packaging is very basic and plain like the Urban Decay naked palettes.
I liked the pump dispenser.
I chose the color 1.0 since it seemed to be the closet match to my skin at the moment. It is right on with MAC NC15 in comparison.

UD naked foundation 1.0 swatch on my hand:

blended in:


As you can see from the hand swatches it looks very skin-like once blended and set. I liked the finish. Not matte and not dewy, more satin yet still felt lightweight.

Here are comparison pics with the foundation on my face:
(Left = no foundation Right = wearing naked skin)

The coverage was medium, it went on light but I built up a second layer easily. It covered everything that I needed covered, redness and scars disappeared.
The main thing I was looking forward to was that it claimed to be 'weightless' and feel like you aren't wearing anything. Well, I sure felt it on my skin and it felt like any other foundaiton loaded with silicones.
It wasn't 'heavy' but it sure wasn't weightless.

An hour or so after initial application I noticed that it started to look cakey and settle into my fine lines and pores. I felt that it exaggerated the dry areas of my face, because it just sort of moved into every nook and cranny it could, leaving me with an uneven complexion. I was pretty disappointed.

It lasted about 6 hours on my skin and then I started to see most of my skin and the redness come through again. It likely would have been longer lasting with a primer, I only used moisturizer under it.
The dealbreaker for me was my face was irritated and bumpy the day after using it. I tried it again to be sure and I got a weird tingly feeling all over my face. I had the exact same thing happen when I tried urban decay skin brightening primer potion! It has a few of the same ingredients and I think the litchi extract is to blame.
 Sadly, naked skin did not work out for me, but I can see why a lot of people would love it.

I've included the ingredients list here:


pros:

- finish looks just like skin
- excellent shade selection
- contains peptides and antioxidants
- easy to blend

cons:

- filled with silicones that can dry out skin and clog it
- not very long lasting
- exaggerates dry skin
- settles into pores/lines soon after applying

I think those with normal to oily skin would find they like this foundation. I'd recommend using a primer for best results.
It's not a bad foundation but I've used way better ones. I was disappointed at how heavy it feels considering they are marketing it as 'weightless'. I think it's somewhat hyped up like most Urban Decay products.

Repurchase? No

Price: $45 CAD

Rating: 3/5

No comments: