Monday, August 8, 2011

Missha M perfect cover BB cream review

Missha was the very first BB cream I ever tried. It is probably the most popular brand of BB creams in the beauty world.

BB or blemish balms are super popular all over Asia. They originated in Germany as a tinted healing cream for patients who underwent skin treatments and needed something to help protect, heal and soothe the skin. Japan picked up on theses ingredients and are now pumping out all different kinds of BB creams.


Here is Missha's description of the M perfect BB cream:

' The M Perfect Cover BB Cream gives an even and natural-looking coverage with the soothing, moisturising properties of a cream. It is suitable for all skin types including acne-prone skin, and can be used as a makeup base or foundation. '
source: http://www.misshaus.com

Ingredients list:
Water(Aqua), Cyclomethicone, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Zinc Oxide, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil, Phenyl Trimethicone, Talc, Arbutin, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Dimethicone, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Squalane, Adenosine, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Beeswax(Cera Alba), Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Caviar Extract, Algae Extract, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract, Ceramide 3, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance(Parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Salicylate, Hydroxycitronellal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol
MAY CONTAIN[+/-; Titanium Dioxide(CI 77891), Iron Oxides(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)]

This ingredients list tells me that there are some excellent antioxidant ingredients in the Missha BB cream.
It is very emmolient and moisturizing to the skin. It is comparable to a very creamy thick tinted moisturizer.

I used this product for 3 days straight and although I liked it I had to stop using it.
Upon first application, I realized that the color was two shades too dark for my pale skin. It also seemed slightly ashy toned.
I really liked the way it made my skin glow with moisture and radiance.
I tried applying it again, this time with a lighter powder over top and it helped to lighten the color a bit.
By the third day of using this my skin became slightly sensitized and I developed tiny red spots around my t zone (an indication of inflamed/irritated skin).
I believe that the algae extract is the culprit, because I seem to have a reaction to anything that has algae in it.

swatch of M perfect # 21 light beige:

Swatch on my arm - bottom half of the line is 21 blended, top is my natural skin. you can see the coverage is pretty good, my veins aren't as noticeable:


I would normally post pictures of how this looked on my face but I don't want to use it again due to my allergic reaction.
One other thing I noticed about this was that it seemed to make my skin darker. I mean after using it for 3 days it seemed like I had applied a self tanner. This effect lasted about 2 weeks. I didn't particularly like it.
I've read that this is because the pigments 'stain' the skin, but for something that is claimed to 'lighten' my skin it just doesn't seem right. It's a mystery to me.
I will tell you right now that this won't lighten your skin one bit!

Overall, I would recommend this to those with normal, dry or very dry skin who want light to moderate coverage and skin conditioning ingredients.
Since the finish is quite dewy and it does contain oil, this wouldn't be the best choice for oily skin types.
I would also be careful if you have sensitive skin because there are a few possible skin irritants in the ingredients list.

The great thing about Missha BB cream is that there are several color options, so that pale and deeper skin tones can wear it. Most BB's only come in one shade, usually quite pale or medium.
If you are curious about BB creams Missha has a good reputation, but there are many different brands available.

repurchase? No, I had an allergic reaction and found that it darkened my skin.

rating: 3/5

price: $20-$30 USD

3 comments:

Vijaya said...

There used to be a Missha store near me but it shut down. *sigh* Shame because I really wanted to try BB cream, and, like you said, most don't have deeper options.

Sarah said...

That is so bizarre about the pigments staining your skin! That would scare me off of a product... I don't like the idea of it changing my skin tone even after I take it off!

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

Interesting post! I've been hearing a lot about BB creams lately!