Friday, January 7, 2011

NYX doll eye mascara volume extreme black review



I don't know why I didn't try this mascara sooner, I heard some great things about it long ago.
It comes in a cute box and the mascara tube itself is shaped nicely. It looks like a high end mascara.

The wand is slightly round and thick at the very top, and it tapers in before flaring out again slightly at the bottom. I haven't seen a wand quite like this before. It reminded me a bit of Rimmel sexy curves mascara wand.

I found doll eyes volume to build up volume very quickly, leaving me with nice and plump, thick and slightly longer lashes. The only problem was that it clumped really easily and quickly as well. I can't layer on this mascara as I do with others, or my lashes start sticking together and looking horrible.

Here is 2 light coats of doll eyes volume on my lashes :
With 3 coats it starts to clump up:
4 coats and my lashes start to stick together completely:
This is not a bad mascara, but not one that you can just throw on before running out the door. I always found I put too much on no matter how lightly I applied it and it would clump.
I didn't find it to be 'extreme black' at all, it was more average black.
It never flaked, smudged or smeared through the day - which was surprisingly great.
I found that application was slightly uneven and I think it's because of the odd shaped brush. I had the same problem with sexy curves mascara.
I do like using doll eyes on my bottom lashes, the wand is great for getting those hard to reach mini-lashes.
If you are willing to take a little bit of time to apply this and comb through your lashes you might really like it.

Repurchase? No, just not for me.

Price: $9.99 CAD

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Aww thanks for the sweet comment, Lexa!
I saw this mascara at Rexall on sale for $2 off but I'm quite glad I didn't buy it after all. I really had when mascaras clump easily, especially since my lashes are quite sparse and I don't want them clumping together what little lashes I have already! lol
Thanks much for the review, hope you have a wonderful weekend :)