Friday, November 12, 2010

Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner review, 24 hour test!



Maybelline is bringing out new products from their 'studio' line left and right. I am not a fan of Maybelline make up in general, but I was in the market for a new gel liner and I just had to try this one out. The claim: 'Waterproof and smudge-proof for 24-hour wear'.
Well I put it to the ultimate test, see if it holds up for 24 hours!

The packaging and design of this liner is so similar to MAC fluid line it almost looks identical.

The brush that it comes with is reminiscent of a lip brush. That isn't a bad thing, I have used stiff lip brushes in the past with gel liners and they work great.
The thing about this brush is that it's just a little too bulky and it tends to grab too much product on it. It can get a bit messy, you will have more control with a smaller brush.
I ended up using my MAC 209 and it worked perfectly.

The liner has a nice texture to work with, not too dry and not too wet. It dries fairly quickly so it's best to work fast to correct any mistakes.

I was hoping for a nice carbon black color since I chose 'blackest black'. Well, I had to really layer it and build it until I achieved a nice deep black. This is definitely not the blackest black liner I've used, and I was slightly disappointed.


So did it last 24 hours without smudging or smearing off?

Well, not completely. Photo taken 24 hours after application:



It smeared really bad on the inner and outer corners of my eyes within 8 hours. This is not really waterproof. But I have to admit the actual top line stayed in pretty good shape. There was no flaking or smudging. It faded gradually, and as you can see, it didn't stay deep black.

I'm not really that impressed with this product, but I will recommend it for someone just starting out using gel liners. If you are looking for the blackest black you can find then I'd have to recommend Wet and Wild's gel liner, it's truly carbon black.

Repurchase? No.

Cost: 9.99 CAD

Rating: 3/5

No comments: